Thread: Ford Mustang
View Single Post
Old 4 May 2004, 04:01 (Ref:959980)   #15
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Sean Hyland Motorsports has released its, and probably Ford's as often nowadays factories simply stamp a part number on a someone elses block to save time, heavy duty modular cylinder block.
As far as I have read it will be a high-deck version as in it largest form with a 3.70 inch stroke it will reach 366 inches cubed.
It is interesting as the original modular blocks cast by Teksid in Italy (they also do work for Ferrari) weighed 85.40 lbs. and were safe for at least 900 horse power.(IN a book Sean put out on modular engines, he said he used it safely drag racing with up to 1,500 horse power.)
After 1999, production was switched to Windsor and the block was lighter at 80 pounds but was not as strong, as Sean said other racers had, had, block failures. He said that it should be safe upto 600 horse power although he had not tried one.
As the the tall deck (5.4 truck) block has extra metal, I would imagine that it will weigh at least 100 pounds in comp. version, which is what most current alloy Chevy blocks weigh and probably more that a short deck Windsor (Boss) block as Fords were known for weighing less than Chevys.
With the great width of the OHC cylinder heads and extra weight of the cams, I cannot see one single advantage of the new engine over the old, whether it be for street or track.
Bob