Old 20 May 2004, 06:55 (Ref:976150)   #42
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by freud
Climb.. I am afraid MS's records ARE shading the big names already and thrashing each and every record in the books (except for may be the pole position).

I just wish Ferrari top brass had the moral courage to realize and change this. Patrick Head opined the same same time ago.

Fog, I am afraid you arent getting to the logic behind the thread. We all know MS is great. He's got good hair and chin and yes he drives well. But so did Prost and Senna and Stewart and Mansell and Villeneuve and 100s of others who have drove before him. Point again is that if MS had achieved all that he has with a teammate like a JV or a JPM or a Kimi or an Alonso or a Mika or even a DC, I would've applauded him. You and I well know what treatment Rubens get at Ferrari. Have you forgotten his famous words after Austria 2002 that Ross Brawn hardly even spoke to him during his first season with Ferrari (year 2000)??
I am not goin to bother reading the whole thread because i agree with freud. I posted my view on teh 2nd post, but, the point is, could Schumacher have mounted this many grand prix victories, poles and general ownership of the front of the grid if he had of been teamed with a very quick driver, I don't need to mention names because we all know who is good and who isn't on the current grid, and even just a few seasons ago (Hakkinen and Villeneuve).

It is down to HIS ability that he has got this situation whereby his team mate carries out his very command, and it is HIS mental toughness (or bigheadedness) that he has got a situation like no other in Formula 1. Has he cheated to get this position, no, I don't believe so. But has Ferrari's (Schumacher's) way of running the top 2 cars on the grid F****ED up F1 temporarily?

YES.

So, based on this, how you honestly so confidently say he is the best in current F1, never mind history? Yes, he is very quick, and a good leader for his engineers, but what I really rate about him is his ability to adapt to drive on the piece of track he occupies at the time, and clearly, just how smart he is.
But none of that makes him capable of beating Villeneuve, Raikkonen, Hakkinen or Fisichella or Montoya by anything like a margin if he had a tough team mate like every other world champion has had.

Hakkinen never had his own way, in fact, I admit myself that I got frustrated seeing DC taking that win at Spa in 99, and of course, Austria where DC put Mika off the track while goin for the inside.
THIS is what we pay to say, THIS IS what F1 is all about, and if we are not able to watch the best two rival teams in F1 fight it hard, we shoulkd still be treated to a ding dong battle for supremacy within the two best cars, just as we have in the history of F1 with a host of drivers.
Villeneuve is a fighter, I believe he'd have been all over Schumacher for the championship had he ever gone to FErrari to replace Irvine.

So there you go, just bringing all the Schumacher fan's heads down to earth again. You really need to LOOK at the races over the years, and see just how Schumacher has conducted his championship challenge. Facts however, are facts, so you have to hand it to him for what he has achieved.
But the FACT is himself and Ferrari have ruined F1 in the short term. Not to mention all the dirty issues that have blunted any McLaren/Williams charge in recent times.

So enough **** about changing rules, and bull**** Mr Ferrari fan Max Mosley, and lets all start a public ***** fest regarding Ferrari, with everyone in the entire F1 community calling for Schumacher to stop being such a big puss and get rid of Barrichello, and welcome Montoya or Villeneuve into the team, while the Ferrari is still faultless, while its not too late. And lets see how good you REALLY are.
He'd get his ****en ass kicked.