Thread: Speed trap
View Single Post
Old 7 Jun 2004, 19:32 (Ref:996568)   #11
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, but that's exactly what they rely on. People who get scared when they get the notice and just pay up -eeeeasy money. I run about 20 company cars & vans and get loads all the time from the lads.

We just do not reply. Once they get back in touch (usually about 3 months later-so efficient!) I then say that I have not had any notice and they resend it - about a week- then I ask for the pictures, takes about a week or 2, then I ask for the calibration certificate for the camera. That really gets them and they always reply that it was tested that week and found to be accurate but never send a copy of the certificate as proof. Then we send claim we don't know who the driver was as we swap vans regularly and go from therethem a solicitor's letter.

By this time we are at least 6 months down the line and then they try to prosecute.We fill in all the forms and tell them that the employee we believe to be drivng the van has left and we send them their details and the driver just replies stating that he wasn't driving the van.

By this time they either give up or you go to court. We've had at least 20 this year alone and none are in court or even have a date for court yet!

But, I would stress that we only do this to the ones that are underhanded and where they purposely trap you and if the claimed excessive speed is only just over. If the charge is valid and the lads have been driving like lunatics in a built up area for instance - then we let them take the rap - fair is fair