Thread: WEC Glickenhaus Hypercar
View Single Post
Old 15 May 2020, 15:46 (Ref:3976451)   #244
Napolis
Veteran

Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
The $15m figure seems a lot but I don't know what it relates to. Development costs for a manufacturer to put an LMDh on the road? Porsche or Ferrari could spend that in a week.

Anyway, an LMP2 rolling chassis (no engine or electronics) is capped at about €500k. Engine lease for a season at €1250/hour, call it €100k per year. Car homologated and run for 4 seasons, €900k. Plus whatever the electronics package costs. Plus spares are capped at 130% of the cost of the car, and you will need to buy some. So at least €1m to buy and run the car for a 4 year cycle.

The LMP2 constructors would sell for a higher price if the rules allowed it. Their model, and the whole point of limiting the number of constructors, is economies of scale. That has worked for Oreca and Ligier. Not so much for Dallara and Riley/Multimatic.

Since Glickenhaus don't have those economies of scale, and will sell you a car that has a shot at winning Le Mans (fingers crossed), and the car is built to order by a boutique supercar manufacturer rather than being a bitsa kit car, €2m seems pretty reasonable to me.
The key here personally is "a chance to win Le Mans".
I very much doubt and LMDh will have a chance to win Le Mans or for that matter an LMH will have a chance to win Daytona 24...