View Single Post
Old 4 May 2006, 15:51 (Ref:1600723)   #72
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Viva GT, I have the relevant Sporting Cars issue (Vol 2, No.4 - Feb 1984) in front of me. The article is about 'Wild Rare Rovers' and doesn't devote much (and certainly not enough!) to these cars. It says one of them (but doesn't tell us which one) was indeed built at Solihull, although that could have been simply a standard car that was sent out to Shaw and Pierpoint to develop. Hardcastle is not clear on that (see my earlier post). Pierpoint was indeed the driver but there is no mention of Parkes, who, if memory serves, had left Rootes (and therefore no BL connection) for Ferrari some years before.
Hi John, thanks for clarifying things for me, looks like I must have been wearing my rose tinted spectacles when I read the magazine all those years ago, and remembering what I thought I'd read!
I still retain my fascination for these cars though, remembering what a shock it was to discover that 'Auntie Rover' had been involved with such a project. (Let's face it, despite the rally project with Roger Clark in practically standard 2000's, they hadn't been properly involved in motorsport for years).
Keep up the good work...