View Single Post
Old 12 Feb 2022, 01:00 (Ref:4098323)   #56
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Sadly, V8 Fireworks post sucked me back in. I should have just not posted.

Richard
I do apologise. Pirelli already make the narrow 18" tyres for Formula 2, so it would be trivial to use them in F1 as well if F1 teams or the FIA wanted to do this.

I think the width is the same as before, so F2 uses 245mm/725mm R18" front and 325mm/725mm R18" rear, i.e., 20% narrower than what F1 will use.

Like I said those cars are 1.9m wide, which doesn't look too bad. F1 could use the same car width and tyre sizes as F2 if they wanted, it wouldn't be a big deal... The cars would have ~20% less mechanical grip (and therefore total, as aero grip is just a multiplier) of course. They would corner slower, but go faster on the straights with the lower air resistance of the narrower tyres.

The car concept of the 2022 F1 car isn't that different than the F2 car apart from having that 10cm of extra width and the F1 car being much, much longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
IMHO the bigger/wider tyres look awesome and the smaller/narrower ones look lame
I like the rears, but feel the fronts in F1 are too wide and look kinda silly.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 12 Feb 2022 at 01:12.