View Single Post
Old 28 Oct 2009, 13:28 (Ref:2571415)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jim Russell Championship Series, FIA F2, musings on the future of F3

Autosport are reporting that a US series by the name of Jim Russell Championship Series is going to offer a prize of a seat in the 2011 FIAF2 series. Having heard absolutely nothing about it, I then had a look at it. From a search it appears that it's also been under radar of this forum.

Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

As one may well pick up from my postings, I dislike the cornucopia of different single seater series - a simple cost-effective Formula Junior, Formula 3 (but with rule changes), Formula 2 (not like Super Palmer Audi, a GT3-style balanced series with different chassis and engines) leading to F1 would be logical.

No other sport would have such a system of so many different formulea with different rules. It would be impractical for all levels of single seaters to use one set of rules but the structure needs to be streamlined to about three formulae below F1. My analogy is that it's like League One football playing with thirteen players, a basketball style foul count and ice hockey goals and Serie C using rugby posts, seven a side and in quarters.

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic

Interesting that 2011 FIAF2 is the prize series - will 2011 be the last year of it, bearing in mind that's how long the tender is for?

And the final point - the car for this series is an old Lola F3 car (B06-30). Obviously as the trend is now FPA style single team racing, this may skew the costs. But perhaps there needs to be some new ideas in F3? This series will be running 300hp 2000cc turbos ripped out of Evos - perhaps that is the direction F3 could go in, more power less grip meaning that aero rules could be made extremely tight?

A final thought - one crazy idea is running all the races at one track - Sears Point. Is that good for drivers having to learn different circuits? Or will just varying whether they run little lumpy bits used for bikes et al make the difference?

Ramblings over - discuss.