View Single Post
Old 28 Oct 2009, 22:27 (Ref:2571715)   #11
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Last I checked FPA ran on a mix of tracks with some tv time and other goodies.
I've already alluded to that - FPA has raced on the continent some times at places like Spa, Monza and Dijon. This year it's been Silverstone, Brands and Snetterton twice each and Oulton Park once. Presumably this one doesn't get any media coverage, which isn't a good thing. Is it on the undercard of the big races there or is it just done in front of empty stands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Don't quote me on it, but I don't believe the times were too far off a F3 car.

However they can adjust the power settings for the school and series. I think for the first days of the school they turn the power down to 160 hp, but again don't quote me on it.
That sounds impressive - then again benchmarking might be an issue, as if I remember correctly the US hasn't had an F3 series for a good few years now. On paper it certainly sounds fast.

Quote:
I think with this school they were going the whole hog to have all the bells and whistles, however there is only a small market that can afford that, especially in this era.

Skip Barber has run racing series for a long time, but at a way lower price point. They have a mix of customers though, young guns, old timers, middle aged professionals and gen x gen y semi pro drivers that make up the business mix of revenue to keep all that going.
I know about Formula Skip Barber, it sounds like a reasonably sound concept for those that want an arrive and drive series at such a price point. The aesthetics of the car aren't perfect, but that's a minor quibble.

FPA has had it's fair share of pay drivers IIRC, at one point including none other than Paul Drayson himself.