View Single Post
Old 4 Dec 2015, 09:00 (Ref:3595414)   #25
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Richard, is the racing we see today better than then the racing that used to occur when the driver was the predominant factor? If the driver were to be even less of a factor than he is now would it improve?
Richard, I think the quote from my post is the leading question that needs to be answered. Those that saw both would argue that looking through their rose tinted glasses the answer is today's racing is not better than that which took place when the driver was predominant in the whole equation. If they are wrong why are they wrong? Sort that out and the answer becomes clearer but no one wants to go backwards if that is the answer.

The whole plot went off the rails somewhere back in time through a whole lot of factors IMO but the foremost one I would say is greed on the part of everyone, I doubt any single major personality involved in F1 is any less guilty of this than any of their mates.

Another question is this, why must F1 be highly technical, who said that high tech was necessary to have good racing? In fact a lot of onlookers would contend that high tech has led to just the opposite and want the whole thing slung back to the fifties and start again, not such a good idea me thinks but drum brakes would be interesting and running on cross plies even more interesting.

I have proposed before how to limit costs and the madness that unlimited development brings. The teams should be limited to one laptop per car at the circuit, the whole thing becomes self limiting because if they can't manage it with one laptop they by definition can't use it. I know it sounds like a ludicrous idea but it caps the out of control technical staff the teams now use and by banning telemetry they have not got anything to send back to the team base. They can get as technical as they like but they must manage it with one laptop and no data to leave the circuit.

F1 has no future because it has no plan or vision as to what it wants to be and that is in the end down to poor management.