View Single Post
Old 11 Oct 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3316487)   #467
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
I too have had several offs there........... on an awful driving game several years ago that shall remain nameless.
This, from the 2014 track changes thread, suggested a possible new topic of discussion for the fallow period between now and I guess when we start making real plans in the new year.

My curiousity is piqued by what the "awful driving game" might have been? Thinking about the ones I've played over the years most have been okay but in no particular order and relying exclusively on my perhaps patchy recollection...

1980s WEC Le Mans arcade game: quite enjoyable for sitting in a 962 model cabinet, but don't remember it being especially convincing

1980s/1990s 8 bit / 16 bit platform. Pretty sure I remember having a driving game that had a bash at showing Le Mans, either in the late 80s on an Amstrad CPC or in the early 90s on an Atari ST. No concept as to what they were called, but a distinct recollection that they underwhelmed in the extreme...

2000s Gran Turismo 4 PlayStation 2: The real eye opener for me, and I still reckon it's the most satisfying of the franchise in rewarding repetition and tweaking of settings. This, in the days before I went to Le Mans in person, did most to really teach me how the track hung together.

1990s Le Mans Sega Dreamcast. Listed after GT4 simply because I played this first in 2007, getting a Dreamcast on eBay simply for that purpose when I moved to Belgium and figured I could do with some evening entertainment. This I liked, a lot, especially with the representation of the straight plunge down after Dunlop. Got fiendishly difficult as once you got to the level where really interesting cars got unlocked automatic gearshift became disabled, so I didn't persist much beyond, so missing out on some of the really fun cars available, in particular the Lancia LC2. High point I think being driving the Porsche WSC95.

2000s GRID PlayStation 3. Frustrating, I wanted to like it as a game but never really got to grips with it, and I never really felt its representation of Le Mans lived up to expectations, especially in terms of the day/night transitions. Handling wise in particular I found all the cars a bit peaky and it pretty quickly got relegated to a drawer in the sitting room where I'm pretty sure it still sits.

2010s Gran Turismo 5 PlayStation 3. A lot of fun but gut feel is the franchise is a bit arcadey now. Le Mans looks great, but doesn't feel nearly as absorbing as it came across in GT4.

I'm sure there are a whole load of other contenders out there - but have any of us come across ones which particularly satisfied, or perhaps more entertainingly particularly offended us?