Old 26 Nov 2010, 10:14 (Ref:2795975)   #8
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd88 View Post
It's great to see the Pre-90 series coming back; the original BRSCC run pre 90 championship seemed to be successful in its day.

The North West pre-90 championship and CFFC works very well, which includes Reynard’s and other 88/89 cars; why mess with a proven formula?

All you need to do is expand the range of circuits and I would imagine you’ll have a positive turn out
If you allowed in the 88 and 89s' it would just scare off the majority of potential Pre88s' as they would just believe that their older cars wouldn't stand a chance.
This is apparent from some of the replies in this thread depending on the age of car the poster either already has, or is considering getting.

This is the problem, whatever age of car. The majority of drivers see having an older car as a ready made excuse to "not do well". There aren't as many drivers out there as you would think who would relish he challenge of "working it up them" in an older car.

A solution to satisfy everybody would be to run a separate class for every year Formula Fords have been manufactured.. Imagine a trophy table with 44 class winners trophies on it. Everybody could go home happy.

It is possibly worth listening to my views, as I've been there and done it twice. Not only did Richard Peacock and I come up with Formula E for 1985, we also started Pre83 FF2000 by running a pilot race at Oulton in - I think it was - 1987. We got about 28 entries and the National FF2000 championship at the same meeting got about 20. Pre83 was the correct split, but BARC took the concept on and ran the championship for Pre80, which then got it's own class a few years later when - surprise, surprise - BARC went Pre83