View Single Post
Old 21 Feb 2023, 14:08 (Ref:4144366)   #11
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If I'm trying to look for the positives. It should mean that an early safety car doesn't bust apart the class battles, some of which in GT-Pro never came back together.

Later in the race, while it won't give freebie laps back (never go 'Full IMSA'), it will for sure give massive chunks back to cars on the tail end of the lead lap. By extension it could help recovering cars unlap themselves. I don't love this aspect.

I think like others have said, artificial re-bunching on such a long track doesn't feel right, let alone all the other manipulation for 'the show'.

What is random is where the class leaders are will be so important I think. For example if the P2 leader is lapping close battling 4th and 5th place cars in the class. If it laps the 5th place car, SC comes out. 4th / 1st / 5th are together on the road. The 4th place car does a pass around, rejoins at the back, then gets filtered into the P2 dropback line. Ending up almost a lap ahead of trapped 5th place.

Have I got that right or am I missing something?

When pitting under SC, would teams also have to anticipate what the class leader will do, given that's essentially a moving point at which you essentially cut the pack.