View Single Post
Old 13 May 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1300297)   #12
Supernova
Rookie

United States
Austin Tx
Supernova should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allen,

Thanks for your contribution. The information about AM29s is interesting and could be accurate. I always wondered which chassis became the F2 car. I have a few more names to add to your list:

Below information comes from 1976 and 1977 Road Racing Annuals:
1975 Season:
1) Bob Lazier who finnished 4th in the VW Gold Cup. He is listed as driving a Lola T324 however photo shows him to be in a BH5 with rear wing and F3 Chevron or March nose with intake tapped off. Competed all races that season. (I have photo of this car)
2) Billy McConnell BH5. Finnished season in 8th place. Sponsored by Essex Chemical. Competed full season. (I have photo)
3) K. K. Ross? According to Fred Opert this is Keke Rosberg. Competed at Watkins (05-10-75) only - 6th place finish.
4) Stu Moore Tui AM29 Competed one race only - Mosport (21-09-75) - finished 7th.

There other drivers in 1975 but chassis are not listed.

1976 Season:
1) Francisco Romero Opert Racing Tui BH5 - Competed 6 races (8th 10th 7th and 8th 2 DNFs).
2) Stuart Moore still using AM29! 7 races (5th 13th 13th 12th 3 DNFs)
3) Bobby Rahal Opert Racing Supernova Tui BH5 - first race of the season only (Daytona Jan 31 1976) Finished 5th. Sposored by Red Roof Inns. (I have photo of Rahal in cockpit).

I also have a photo of Hurley Haywood in a BH3 (Zeitler Team). Appears to be around 1973. Paul Pfanner the current President of "Racer" magazine also had a BH3 but I am not sure of details.

Another little point of interest. Allan McCall told me that one can tell the differance between the AM29 and BH3 by the shape of the side of the monocoque. AM29 has a slightly rounded side to the monocoque where as the BH3 is flat.

Mike Short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
I'm too interested in Tuis to let this thread fade away. We need more information, folks!

Can anyone post the 1970 F3 Tui results? Maybe from the F1 Register book to start with?

Bert Hawthorne's 1971 FB results are:

R2 Monterrey - retired, mechanical (18th)
R3 Mexico City - WON
R4 Edmonton - WON
R5 Brainerd - WON
R6 Elkhart Lake - crashed (32nd)

In 1972, the Leda-Tui appears in European F2 and in US FSV. We have covered the two cars used in F2 but I can add some details of the 1972 FSV season:

Fred Philips "Leda Tui" (from R2 Watkins Glen) - 8 races, 2nd at R3 Road Atlanta
Fred Van Beuren "Leda Tui" (from R2 Watkins Glen) - 7 races
Jon Woodner "Tui" (from R3 Road Atlanta) - 6 races, won at R7 Laguna Seca
Peter Schuster "Leda Tui" (from R4 Donnybrook) - 3 races
Mike Eyerley "Leda Tui" (R6 Portland only) - may have driven Van Beuren's car.
Scooter Patrick "Leda Tui" (from R7 Laguna Seca) - 2 races, could have taken over Schuster's car

So that's at least four FSV cars, more likely five. Presumably these are AM29s, like the F2 cars. Vercoe says Opert ordered eight AM29s for 1972 and that McCall used chassis AM29/7 for F2. I don't know where he got that information from but the number of eight AM29s seems highly plausible.

In 1973, FSV was full of Tui BH3s, run by Roos, Philips, Dave McMillan, Van Beuren, Tom Reddy, Dick Cooney, Bert Everett, Jack Rabold, Eyerley (again just a single guest drive), John Benton, Bill Collins and John Morrison with Steve Griswold (yes, him!) in a Tui AM29. Who built the BH3s? Leda again?

In 1974, the Supernova Tuis appear but the marque was eclipsed in FSV.

Allen