View Single Post
Old 27 Jun 2011, 14:41 (Ref:2906865)   #68
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The trouble with the Tamburello chicane is that the prior bend to the road virtually eliminates outbraking, overtaking maneuvers into the chicane. The Villeneuve chicane has the quicker bend leading into the slower one, and so doesn't work for overtaking either. And those two chicanes make two, new, rather short straights, which eliminates overtaking into Tosa pretty much, as well as slipstreaming coming through and out of Tamburello.

I'm glad the Acque Minerale chicane was removed, but I've never been terribly happy with the Variente Alta, especially the tightened version they've had starting in 2006. And I wish they would have just used the original road when they got rid of the Variente Bassa. And really, adding the run-off at that bend by pit-in created that scenario with the barrier coming back into toward the track that made Marcel Tiemann's crash that much more severe, because of the steeper impact angle.