View Single Post
Old 31 May 2021, 12:42 (Ref:4054063)   #67
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Just looked at the Brands results. Indeed Tiff was disqualified from the Pre 66 touring cars.
One wonders why.

The video stream shows an incident near the end of the Pre 66 race where a yellow Mustang rotated into the gravel (at Surtees iirc) for the second lap in a row (I think. Might have managed one in between staying on track.). Made a better job of it the second time which is why the race ended under a Safety Car.

One can see a marshal approach the driver's door, presumably to point out the car has dug itself in up to the hubs, and the driver starts to exit the car as a Cortina leaves the track (seems quite close to the marshal but the camera perspective may be misleading), circles around the back of the Mustang through the gravel and then rejoins the track heading towards Clearways.

The video quality did not seem to be adequate to identify a race number but it's one of the oddest incidents I have seen captured on video at a UK meeting. So if anyone knows the circumstances that led to it the explanation might be quite enlightening.

Whether that was in any way connected to Mr. N I have no idea but on the basis of the reasons given for the DQ and that no other such penalties are listed it seems likely.

That part of Brands Hatch seems to attract dramatic incidents.