View Single Post
Old 6 Apr 2020, 15:07 (Ref:3968935)   #23
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
And now most road cars have Flyby wire and many semi auto gearboxes. I cannot see a day when road cars have multi element wings, barge boards or carbon suspension pieces.
I disagree slightly with the point you make.
Whilst it is true, you are unlikely to see multi-element wings and barge boards on a standard road car, I can see carbon suspension (or a variant of) being a possible when it comes to weight saving.

The drive-by-wire throttle and semi-auto boxes are developments of the previous technology used in F1 - but I don't see them as direct descendants of.
I feel it is more a case of the knowledge gained from developing those technologies for use on a F1 car has been used to develop road-relevant applications.

When it comes to aero on a road car - whilst the solution may appear different it is still an application of the same knowledge and technology - particularly as the road car market strives for efficiency.

An article here discussed in detail the application of aero knowledge in commercial vehicles for instance.

Road cars are already sporting lots of innovative aero 'solutions' too - that may have developed from F1 knowledge banks:

A-Class Saloon - enclosed underbody to avoid disrupting the airflow, headlights seal flush with the bodywork.

CLA BlueEfficiency - specially designed exhaust silencer and rear spoiler.

5 Series EfficientDynamics - active shutters for the kidney grille.

Audi A4 2.0 TDI Ultra - developed from LMP designs.

Model S - work was put into ensuring air flowed smoothly around the front wheels.

Ioniq - a multitude of deliberate contours and creases.

Numerous models are employing air curtains to manage the air over/around the car, and wheel design is as much led by aerodynamics as style on a lot of cars.