View Single Post
Old 6 Feb 2014, 23:36 (Ref:3365066)   #650
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
There will genuinely have been people who watched the entire race and went home without knowing.
Almost certainly, and while we can all shake our heads in bewilderment, it's still easy enough to do.

As recently as 2012 my radio refused point-blank to pick up RLM at Spa and while I'd periodically bludgeon my way through the French commentary for the most part of the race I ambled about the track to a large part unaware of what exactly was happening, who was where, and why anything was happening. It must be said I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and in having a whole array of rapportage to catch up on when I got back to the hotel that evening added to it all.

I've had similar experiences at Le Mans - trying to figure out why the safety car's came out etc when not perpetually plugged in. Being somewhere and not knowing something somehow strikes me as being perhaps more reflective of the majority of the sport's history, not something to be chosen for most of us, but equally perhaps not something to denigrate too vigorously.

Last edited by isynge; 6 Feb 2014 at 23:37. Reason: grammar