View Single Post
Old 6 Apr 2020, 17:48 (Ref:3968970)   #30
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the link to the Motorsports cover. McLaren MP4/6? Take the regulations from that era and drop them into today. Does anything really think the cars that would result would look like those cars from that era? There is no way they would. At a minimum we know more now than then about how to make these cars perform. So you would see current innovations on those cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
So what ? Are you saying teams must retain their current size because , somehow, they have gone from employing 50 people to 500 ? And so numbers can never reduce, ever , regardless of size ?
I think we are saying the same thing? I am not arguing to keep them as big as they are. Quite the contrary, they need to be smaller. Especially the larger teams. I am just recognizing that we can talk about this and we should not forget that we are advocating for people to lose their jobs. I don't want to be callous. As others have said, it's better to have a controlled scaling back than all of F1 launching itself off a cliff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
Standard front/rear wings, wide tyres no more than 6 gears and a Judd V10.
Plus cost caps. See below for what happens if no caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Whatever is done to the rules - however 'simple' they are - certain teams will spend an extortionate amount of money to extract the tiniest of marginal gains.
Suspension is a good example. It's purely mechanical which hypothetically should be simple. But in reality it is akin to custom made mechanical watch movements. Obsolescent from a timekeeping perspective, but extremely complex mechanical devices. So put in a spec suspension! Now money will be spent on something else. Larger aero budget for example. Reduce the number of aero changes per seasons! Teams will just work harder (more money) to ensure that they get it right the first time as more is on the line regarding aero optimization.

Oddly enough you could have more technical freedom with cost caps. However I think teams would fight against it (cost caps PLUS significant technical freedom). They want predictable results. Open technical regulations is the opposite of that. They want to have a small number of areas to devote resources. Not all over the place.

Richard