View Single Post
Old 7 Apr 2020, 01:28 (Ref:3969033)   #32
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Of course, the big budget teams will always spend where they can, but the important thing is that their spending doesn’t put other teams out if business. That wouldn’t be right
A point was made recently and I can't remember who made it (Zak Brown?) and it was that a budget cap will fix nothing because the teams at the lower end of the grid spend less that the proposed budget cap so in effect it has no impact on them at all.

I have long proposed that the regs should severely restrict the amount of engineering at the track and if that is done the ability to manage the car is constrained so it becomes less complex and thus costs less.

No multi function steering wheel, it can have a horn button if they want.

No pit to car communications at all, none, none, none.

No data transmission back to the factory from the track.

A limitation of data channels that can be used, this is limited to number not actual channels so the teams must declare what channels they wish to monitor before practise starts.

No engineers sitting in front of a gazillion screens at the track.

Proof must be provided that customer teams are allowed at no extra cost to use exactly the same engine and transmission mapping that the OEM teams have access to. If I were a betting man I would say that customer teams only have this access on hugely expensive terms, yes you can have it but is it going to cost you a lot of money.

All the above does not limit the thinking or using of any technology but what it does is force the teams to make choices of what technology they can manage at the track. If they can't manage it then they won't put it on the cars but in no way does it stop them thinking and perhaps coming up with new ideas. The logistics at the track would be far simpler and way less expensive and if I had my way they would be limited to one laptop at the track for vehicle management which would definitely put a barrier up in how complex the cars could be but I think that is not realistic these days.

I love technology, I bought my current road car because it is full of it but F1 has reached the peak of absurdity and thing need to be reset in such a way as not to limit it but to limit what can be managed at the track.

Here is how absurd data can be and I was guilty of it. A few years ago I became involved in racing Super Karts and we had nearly 40 channels of data on the kart, it was in its limited way engineering gone mad and we never understood that until late in the piece and the guys involved in the data side could not see it at any price.

Last edited by Casper; 7 Apr 2020 at 01:39.