View Single Post
Old 8 Feb 2023, 18:01 (Ref:4143166)   #25
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Is this move part of the plan all along, or has Ben Sulayem found that being ringmaster is a bigger challenge than anticipated?
It might have been planned all along but I suspect that was not the case, given the high profile attendance at so many GPs, the insertion into key photo ops, all the various statements specific to F1.

I think rather that he has come to the realisation of where the real power lies in F1, which is where it has always been (at least since the late 70s anyway) with the commercial rights holder and the teams.

Various clumsy approaches or statements culminated in what he had to say about the value of F1 and I think that was probably the cause of him now stepping back - no doubt after some consultation with FIA lawyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
right! he definitely chose all the wrong battles to fight.

have to say though, from what little i know about him, i assume this was a tough admission for him or his office to have had to make so he gets some credit from me for stepping back even if it might have been forced on him.
I agree - very very tough for him personally to step back the way he has and even if he was effectively forced to do so, he deserves some credit for it - we can all be thankful that he didn't take a "Balestre" approach!