View Single Post
Old 20 Nov 2010, 16:07 (Ref:2793476)   #148
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I get the frustration about the ALMS. I just don't see how the ILMC is a "rival" per se. I don't see any evidence thus far to show it is stealing entries away. In contrast it brings potentially HUGE entry lists so Sebring, and I'm still not convinced the PLM link-up is dead. That gives a much needed injection of interest to the ALMS.

Who exactly are these teams who are going to choose the ILMC over a campaign beating themselves in the ALMS? I just don't see it quite frankly. The ALMS should be happy as it looks like retaining its premier squads for next year. I'd say the ILMC is the least of it's problems.
Manufacturers pay the bills, at least LMP manufacturers. The reason there will (likely) be a downgrade in the TV, is there isn't enough money to maintain status quo.

When Porsche, Acura and Audi left (nothing to do with ILMC), a large part of the income went away.

I keep saying, stop thinking short-term.

ILMC, as Plessart states, was created for the manufacturers, to attract manufacturers and their money. It is an additional choice. A manufacturer looks at going LM racing, they can choose between ILMC and ALMS... therefore ILMC and ALMS are in competition for those entries, and their sponsor dollars.

It is easy to speculate that Audi would not have raced in NA this year, but it is nothing but speculation. We don't know if they would have, or wouldn't have if there was no ILMC. What we do know, is that Audi NA didn't think there was value in paying for a full ALMS campaign, when they could just piggy back off of Audi AG, who are likely paying for Audi to show up at the biggest (two?) race(s) in North America.

Who exactly would be these future teams/manufacturers? This forum seems to talk alot about Toyota. Would they choose to run in ILMC or ALMS... isn't that competition?

People should realize that the ALMS is a business. At some point, a lack of revenue causes businesses to fail, fold, or be sold off. Without factory entry in the ALMS premier class, sponsor revenue drops, attendance drops, sanction fees drop. I appreciate that the woes of the ALMS are not all caused by ILMC, but the ACO very much knew they were creating competition, at a difficult time for the ALMS.

So what if Sebring and PLM have huge entry lists? Fan attendance cannot increase much at either event, maybe marginally, and the rest of the races suffer because of it. Fewer people want to watch races with a bunch of privateer gentleman run entries and spec cars in the first few classes.

So, think beyond what you think you have seen so far. Yes, they are rivals, as both want and need the sponsors money. The sponsors have choices, that is competition. ILMC isn't their only problem, that much I agree, but it is a major problem going forward.

If people cannot understand they are in competition, or that the ALMS needs that manufacturer revenue, there isn't much purpose in me trying to explain it further. The main point, why create something that makes entering the ALMS less attractive for manufacturers? Understand that the ALMS is a business.

Mal - I appreciate your point. The ACO putting themselves in direct competition weakens the ACO ILMC races in North America, long term. It reduces the sustainability of the ACO based series globally. It also destabalizes all of ACO type competition.