View Single Post
Old 6 Feb 2004, 04:45 (Ref:864999)   #19
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's nothing wrong with what you've said Tim, but will IRL have a two basic engine setups, street/road vs. oval? If not, what manufacturer would compromise performance at 10+ ovals for 1-2 street/road races?

You guys are going to have to trust me on this one: Reducing the involvement of the driver does not produce interesting racing. To challange top level drivers something fairly dramatic must happen in order to seperate their abilities. The challange in racing is to carry the most average momemtum. If you don't lose much momentum in a corner, no one can conserve momentum substantially better than anyone else. In 2003 corner speeds were not substantially different from end of straight speeds (CART too).

This is the problem that Dario was complaining about this being WORSE for this year. I'm not sure which engine he was running at the time (anyone know?). But here's a scenerio for you: If you take the same amount of grip and reduce the ability of the car to reach a greater speed at the end of the straight then they don't need to reduce speed to get through the corner.

I've discussed this in the past and I don't think anyone here takes me seriously. I'll be honest, in one way I wanted the IRL to get better, so I would want to watch it more. On the other hand I'm really angry at TG right now. I do not see good things comming out of this new engine package for ovals or street/road.

Last edited by Snrub; 6 Feb 2004 at 04:45.