View Single Post
Old 14 Sep 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1408003)   #40
jimbomit
Racer

England
Cheshire
jimbomit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For what it's worth I'm going to throw my oar into this one!

I have to say I'm with Diz on this one.

Based on the fact I've only been around racing for 5 or so years I'm willing to don my hat to Diz as someone who has foregotten more than most of us know, however I'm not sure if the point I think he's trying to make was explained.

As I interpret it, and correct me if I'm wrong, but if it was as easy as "let's go and get 17 races at OP in 2006" then we'd do that, however the facts seem to be it's not. The number of days available to any club are reducing as the circuits have other bigger money spinners to satisfy their shareholders with (e.g corporate and track days). Club racing is not as important to them as it used to be, face it we need them more than they need us.

Add to that more people coming into racing and you have a problem, lot of demand, limited resource.

So if you want to race a full season you have to be flexible, Diz is trying to strike a balance here that I think may have been missed.

When the other clubs (BARC etc) can fill their own schedules why let a BRSCC meeting have one (or NWFF new club etc etc)???? There will be only a few slots available at Oulton and we have to accept that we won't get the lions share. So how do you fill a year??? Go where they will have us, go where we know people are close to, SPREAD OUR WINGS!!!!

From Manchester I'm an hour from Oulton, 2.5hrs to Anglesey, 2.5 to Croft, 2hrs to Donnington / Mallory It's not that bad!!!

Sure MSV haven't had much luck in getting big grids to their rounds but when you spread it out between Brands, Silverstone, Donnington, Snet, Lyden, Mongolia etc etc the distance really does become a problem!!!

So we get slightly smaller grids at the away days. . . AND??? Who's going to say Anglesey this year was a flop??? This year it's three weekends away from home and because they are double headers it's a good fun filled time and cost wise it's not that much more. I mean how many of us actually do buy a new set of tyres each round?? Far fewer than some would lead you to believe!! Testing?? Sure when you're new to a circuit it's of huge importance, but then once you've visited it a few times and you'll be into the swing very quickly without testing.

Extend the weekends away to four or five, spread out around the "Northern" circuits in a series where you can nominate rounds to count and everyone will get a race close to them, you can duck out of the real far away ones and still do a full season. In fariness it's only Diz who gets a bum deal, he'll need to be at all 17 odd rounds!!!

And yes Combe can have their own club and do their own thing, it's their own circuit, Oulton belongs to Dr Palmer (I'm sure there's a double entendre in their somewhere!) and a lot of people want to visit!

As to a series of all Oulton. . . sorry not for me. I love the track but veriety is the spice of life even if I have to miss a round or two to save up!

If you want a CoO do it like CoB and have it as a mini series within a Northern championship!!

The lessons of the past are for all to see, have too many far away rounds (MSV) and it's hard for people to follow unless you have a serious budget, take a series that works well from a base and spread it too thinly (SoM) and people can't keep up, make it based at one circuit with a good choice of 'support' races and you can satisfy most of the people, most of the time and that IS what it's about........going to bed now head hurts!!!