Thread: Red Bull Ford
View Single Post
Old 8 Feb 2023, 14:22 (Ref:4143140)   #40
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
You are speaking common sense, as always, but I think you are overstating the Japanese influence on the last two years.
I am not sure I am trying to make any point regarding the balance of who is providing the most inputs on the PU for the current spec. If anything, if there is "lesser" influence on the Japanese side recently that strengthens the argument that 2026 is probably going to be less of a "Honda" solution. But I would not try to assign numbers as to how much is Honda vs. Mercedes vs. ? Frankly only those inside RBPT know this. Even then, we are a few years away from whatever shows up at the start of 2026 season.

To reiterate, my main pedantic point is that RBPT was not gifted or has purchased the current Honda PU from Honda. RBPT might own some of the IP in that solution, but overall, RBPT will have to craft their own solution. Yes, it will be influenced by the Honda PU (and others) given their melting pot of engineers that makes up RBPT.

Another point we haven't discussed (probably better suited in a 2026 PU thread and being less specific to Honda/RBPT) is that while the 2026 PU are very similar to what we have today, they will be different. More prescriptive bottom end. Lower fuel rate. Some banning of materials. I think more spec components. Combustion and ERS concepts will flow from the current spec to the next, but they will be all new designs. We also haven't even touched upon the ERS side which I expect is where the bulk of the development and performance differences will be. And I have fewer strong opinions on the ERS side of the PU (as to who has the true secret sauce). I have read elsewhere that this is where Honda (and/or collaboration with RBPT) have focused efforts between 2022 and 2023.

I think we have beat this topic into submission as I am seeing less daylight between everyone's respective perspectives here.

Richard