Old 6 Apr 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1271736)   #12
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Thats a difficult question to answer Rob.

I think first and foremost is that you put them with an experienced team and if possible on a busy post for the first few meetings. It's essential that the post chief makes sure he/she is available to answer any questions and to encourage the new marshal to get involved with as many of the days clear ups as is possible.

I take it one step further when I have new marshals on post with me and get them flagging a couple of practice sessions. This gives them a better understanding of how hard a flaggies job is and also helps them to appreciate the different flags.

Try to get the new marshals to move to different posts at each meeting, this gives them a better aspect of racing from different vantage points. Try also to get them to spend a day in assembly, race control, pits, paddock so that they get a rounded idea of the different disciplines of marshalling.

The worst thing you can do is to put them on a post where the other marshals ignore the new person or where they don't offer to help. It's a very daunting time being trackside for the first few times!
Stephen! At Oulton MarshalGirl has everything under control with regard to SignOn and Allocation of posts.

The post allocators, MarshalGirl, Flying Muppet and Mike Cadwallader, also ensure that all trackside marshals work on different posts and with different people at every meeting.