View Single Post
Old 4 Mar 2007, 18:13 (Ref:1858069)   #15
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe most people think it's happening in P1... Audi will tune the car to be just fast enough compared to Peugeot, and we know the R10s will last. No contest; probably even an Audi podium sweep. We've seen non-VAG cars having great qualifying sessions before, like RFH, but they can't follow the Audi pace for more than the first stint and don't even make it up to the lead. Pescarolo had some kind of an edge with their cars in the last 2 years but they are more or less stalled in their development as opposed to the 2 manufacturers that are throwing enormous amounts of cash at their prototype. The atmo-P1 battle is gonna be interesting to follow because the Pescarolos will be challenged by other very good prototypes. But it's mostly gonna be about reliability; does anyone remember a Zytek, Creation or Courage running for 24 or even 6 trouble-free hours?

LMP2 would be even more interesting with more cars and teams that have proven they can do the job on the long run. Probably an atttrition race over 24 hours again...

GT1 is fantastic with numerous fast Astons, the potentially great Oreca Saleens and the Vettes. I think the Corvettes are gonna struggle for pace and their chances for a win will depend on a trouble-free race, something hard to achieve when rushing to beat numerous serious opponents in your class. The class to watch to me.

GT2 has about the same ingredients, but the teams are a bit further from being manufacturers than in GT1. The new Porsche has been designed with Le Mans in mind with bigger restrictors/more power/more weight but they have quite a small armada this year, the Ferraris look very strong pace-wise and have shown great things on the reliability front, and the Spyker and Panoz look quite strong and won't be far when others inevitably fall... A great race in perspective.