View Single Post
Old 12 Jun 2020, 08:21 (Ref:3981474)   #31
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I like F1 because it isn't IndyCar; I like IndyCar because it isn't the WEC; I like the WEC because of Le Mans; I like Le Mans because hellwhynotitsawsome; and I like club and historic and saloon and touring car and GT racing too despite liking F1.

I guess I just like racing.

What I don't like is endless hair-splitting about why this-is-better-than-that and DriverA-is-obviously-better-than-DriverB because Just Look At His Hat, or whatever the spurious argument of the day is.

To answer the OP's question:

Try it. You might like it. Just don't expect it to be, or compare it with, the things you already like because it isn't them.
Couldn't have said it better.

I watch F1 since 1980 (aged 6) with my father, and I don't think I have missed more than 3 races in the last 30 years.
When my dad bought a satellite dish setup in the late 80s /early 90s, I suddenly had access to Indycar (some races) and later also Formula Nippon.
Watching that was better than doing schoolwork.

That same satellite TV set also gave me access to the Le Mans 24 hours.

All 3 were very different to F1 (with F Nippon being the closest), but I learned to appreciate them.

Nowadays, I still watch all F1 races, I try to watch as many of LMS, WEC, Blancpain GT and Indycar as I can.
I also watch the full Le Mans 24H, Spa 24H and Nurburgring 24H.
When time permits, I also watch a GT Open or a VLN race.

All these are very different, with their own strong points and flaws but I appreciate them for what they are.

--

The only events I attend live are the Spa 24H, and the LMS race and GTOpen race at Spa.
I do enjoy being there, walking around the track, the access to the pit lane and starting grid but most of the time I have no clue what car is where.
Again 2 very different things: being at the races or watching them on TV. I appreciate both for what they are.

Last edited by gert; 12 Jun 2020 at 08:26.