View Single Post
Old 1 May 2023, 08:52 (Ref:4153981)   #1561
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
You just seem to want to change everything about the series. Different cars, different engines, different brands and different driver...
Yes to make it back into something good and bring the Australia Touring Car Championship back to relevance and back to the touring car ethos of the championship!

With the Americana muscle car format it has lost so much ground.

Quote:
It's been on a downward trajectory ever since project blueprint in the early 2000s, and each successive generation making the cars further removed from any road going cars
Quote:
Little interest in recent years and heading rapidly towards zero. I mean you can’t even buy the Camaro in Australia anymore!
Quote:
Lost interest years ago when the cars no longer resembled production cars you could actually go and purchase.

It's deteriorated to the point they're just NASCAR's that happen to also turn right.
Quote:
I started to lose interest when they went away from 'what wins on the weekend, sells on Monday' format of cars. The whole built chassis with a body shape dropped on is boring.
Quote:
I used to watch religiously. Now I can take it or leave it.

I'll watch the Bathurst 1000 - but the rest? Only if there's nothing better on.
Quote:
I used to be a big fan but have not watched a race for at least 5 years. The peak of touring cars in Australia for me was the late 80's and early 90's. It was more exciting to see cars with different strengths racing against each other.
Quote:
I'd rather watch George Fury in his turbocharged Bluebird than the spec series garbage I see these days.
Quote:
I loved watching the e30 M3's on smaller tracks like Amaroo Park. Even during the R32 skyline era they were able to keep up on tight tracks and it was fascinating to watch light and nibble vs outright HP. All that was gone when they changed to the current formula. I kept watching but when the Falcon and Commodore stopped production it really killed the last remaining bit of interest I had.

They have had a good run but I think the series will continue to slowly die off.
Quote:
It’s been pointless since Holden/Ford closed production.
Quote:
Fast forward to when Australia lost its car manufacturing ability and my love was non existent.
Link

I think the view of viewing the Bathurst 1000, and maybe only the last hour at that, and not bothering with the rest of the now minor interest championship is pretty common.

If the organisers want to start their own Americana muscle car series, a la Trans Am, that's great but why distort the Australian Touring Car Championship into that?!

Would it not make more sense for the ATCC itself however to adopt a varied touring car format to *get all those lost fans back*!?

The Falcon and Commodore idea had some merit at the time, but with those vehicles out of production, surely it is the perfect opportunity to reevaluate?

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 1 May 2023 at 09:12.