View Single Post
Old 6 Mar 2013, 00:31 (Ref:3214848)   #30
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Not sure I'd call it "hiding", the Delta Wing at least in North America got more press coverage on major networks than ANY of Audi's Le Mans victories, which got nothing. Even when I lived in Germany from 2006-2008 during the height of Audi's domination I never saw a single mention. Then the DW comes along and it's on NBC, CBS and ABC.

This is for a much smaller budget than P1 with the Delta Wing's main claim to "innovation" being a concept that was perfected in motorsports in the 1960s and by Japanese road cars in the 1980s, all while racing against nobody. Seems like Garage 56 is not exactly hiding. And who knows, if Le Mans is boring this year the Hydrogen car may be the biggest story coming out of Le Mans in 2013, for good or for bad...
I think no one is disputing the marketing value of G56 or the need for technology to be at the fore. I was merely saying it is frustrating as a fan of racing to be so close to having another factory in the premiere class. Why not prove up technology WHILE RACING? Having seen Toyota do it last year with a small budget AND a hybrid while being on the pace makes the prospect of more factories entering very enticing. Personally I hate it when cars run unclassified in a race as the potential of them having a positive impact on the race result is zero, especially at Le Mans where with the limited pit space that could be used for a classified entry.