View Single Post
Old 26 Jan 2010, 21:05 (Ref:2619942)   #20
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Good work again guys

Yes I recall Rob being referred to as Roberto back then, more humourous affection I think. Yes you're right Jesper Kirby went from 'Salmon Can' to John West Salmon' logo's although it was essentially the same sponsor. Dooley's car also sported that later in 1985.
Allegedly, the 'Salmon Can' money came from Alaska!

The story I've read is that early in 1982 there was a big food poisoning scare (botulism) due to faulty tins from one factory in Alaska. After that, to try and boost UK customer confidence in tinned salmon, the state government in Alaska put money into a 1983 advertising campaign run by BACFID, the canned food importers trade association in the UK. After running TV ads etc, there was some money left, and BACFID were persuaded that sponsoring an Alfa in the BTCC would be the obvious way of spending it...

After the Alaskan money ran out, John West took over as sponsor (IIRC, they'd been involved in the original deal) for '85 first on Kirby's car, then Dooley's when Napolina pulled out mid-season