View Single Post
Old 29 Sep 2020, 15:45 (Ref:4007407)   #2400
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
She is the Team Boss, financial director and Chief Go-fer etc, and she actually likes all this motorsport stuff, and after 42 years of marriage, misses NO tricks.
The value of the car is in the Porsche parts, engine and box is about 12K, the chassis is worth little, maybe 8 or 10 tops.

Doubt the car would be sold complete, rolling chassis probably just as I bought it 12 years ago.

The engine fix would be about 10K, so hard to justify.

In recent 3 or 4 years it has been super reliable, goes well sometimes earns a pot and costs little to maintain and run:

Tyres @ £1250 a set but 4 years life or longer
Insurance: £110/ year inc trailer loss
Oil change: £100/ year

Racing season costs:
Entry is about £190 / meeting. We do normally 9 meetings/ year
Fuel: 500/ year to tow, £14 / meeting in the Lola
Bacon butties: £20 meeting, 200 / year

That's it.

I think I/we have 5 years left mainly due to trailering effort, a real pain, but would carry on in a road car much how I started!
Come, come - that is SO cheap compared to circuit racing that 10k on sorting the engine is a relative drop in the ocean. Do that, put a good pedaller in it for a couple of prestige events and you'd increase it's value by more than the investment.. Measure that against the BoE's recent hints about negative interest rates and it looks even more of a no-brainer.