View Single Post
Old 4 May 2007, 16:52 (Ref:1906714)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Well said Adam and Craig. I'm no NASCAR fan but it's difficult to argue a case against when you look at the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie
For as much as it cost to support 3 key teams in Cup and a total of 8 cars, I know SRT could design, build and sale race cars or a profit instead of sending money down the drain in Cup.
However much you are a fan of Sportscar racing the simple fact is that it's niche market stuff, especially in comparison to NASCAR. Make a few thousand $ building and selling race cars or get your brand seen by (tens of) millions of viewers? Try getting that one past the boys in marketing.

Quote:
The trash-throwing fans at Talladega last week is a disgrace to Cup and motorsports in general. Suddenly its okay to be an arse-hole in the stands. Banding them from tickets sales is akin to screaming at your children for not taking out the trash.
Disgraceful it's true, but hardly a first. Even Le Mans has it's share of beer-fueled idiots to contend with. Thankful it's a small minority.

They won't admit it in public but I bet NASCAR are quietly pleased. Gives them a chance to trumpet how committed their fans are, and provides yet more column inches. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Quote:
Why they make the connect between what they see on track and the Dodge name is beyond me. That's like saying we buy more Tide just because it was on the side of Ricky Rudd's car, are people REALLY that foolish?
It's about brand awareness. People don't buy a washing powder specifically because it's on side of someone's car, they buy it because it is a brand they recognise, and the reason they recognise it is because it's been on the side of someone's car.

Quote:
California and the EPA want Co2 emissions reduced by 60% by 2019. That means we'll have to drive smaller fuel sipping cars, which is fine with me I have no desire or need to have a large truck or SUV for anything.

Chrysler would need to save money in re-tooling its factories to make these cars. Why not start now, drop Cup, save some money and pursue a more cost effective venture in motorsports?
If the future is about eco-friendly micro-cars, what relevance is a GT/Sportscar program, or indeed any motorsports program for that matter?