View Single Post
Old 17 May 2006, 19:32 (Ref:1612859)   #19
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is....I was there last weekend, working with the Vees. We had the garages, and for us it was no problem - some were even driving straight down the stepped pit lane boxes! However, for the LMS in Donington it could prove interesting, and I look forward to seeing how it works! My worry is how they will pull into the pitboxes - presuming here they use them.

There are now effectively three lanes in the pit lane - the left hand one, which is stepped with the pit boxes, the middle one, which I didn't see used last weekend (750MC meeting, slightly different to LMS!) and the right hand one, I'll call it the running lane because I can't remember the actual name! However, that is lane the drivers will "drive in" on.

The pit boxes themselves are fine, and the garages weren't as small as I'd been led to believe, though still could prove interesting. With the pit boxes and the steps, the outer side (ie nearest the pit wall) is the shallowest. However, based on the width of the cars and the height of the bodywork, I struggle to see how they will pull in.

The second option some of us stood and discussed, with our cups of tea at 8 in the morning, was using the middle lane as the pit box. However, the people standing on the outside of the car (again, nearest the pit wall) would, in my opinion, be too close to the running lane in terms of safety.

Another option is to use half of the middle lane, and half of the pit box (ie with the shallow side of the step). This could prove to be the solution.

How any of the above will work I'm not sure, I'm just speculating based on what I saw...

The other thing I could see to be affected would be where to place the fuel rigs. Where they previously stood, ie between the garages against the small amount of wall, is not feasible as this is now sloped because of the steps. This leaves the option of placing them in front of the doors which are in front of each garage, presuming of course this is ok as they are fire doors (however when the shutters from the garages are raised I don't see a problem).

I hope the above hopes to explain a little more of how things have changed, seeing as I've seen it once....and I'll sit and wait with everyone else to see how it works out in August!