View Single Post
Old 1 Jul 2013, 07:42 (Ref:3272247)   #61
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Two races, a shorter srint type race where guys can go flat out all the time, and a longer race maybe 3 hours, to get a little of that long distance feel for teams and drivers.

It is hard to sell tickets for an enduro race I imagne judging by the amounts of people you see at them, but maybe that is just enduro racing isnt that popular except for one weekend a year? When it is infiltrated by people who are just wanting a good time!
I suspect it's a combination of relative obscurity, a more complicated proposition in racing terms (multi-class is always harder for people to get their heads around), and overall positioning.

Thinking back to the golden age, you could cram a decent crowd into the likes of Brands Hatch, but Monza never managed to get many people through the gates.

Is it however a question of selling tickets on the gate or attracting eyeballs? If it's the latter, and I suspect it is, one key area would be investing in the production of a solid highlights package - the current approach of taking the live footage and splicing together the start and the end simply doesn't work and won't serve to help the audience figure out what happened. I seem to remember when the LMS first started back in 2004 this wasn't such an issue - the Monza race that year coming across pretty well as a highlights package.