View Single Post
Old 22 Feb 2021, 13:48 (Ref:4036308)   #247
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Nobody that I am aware of is breaking quarantine - the issue is spending ten days out of a red-listed country and having multiple PCR tests while you are out - then self isolating and taking more PCR tests when finally in your own home.

The choice is whether you stay in HMP Hounslow Travelodge - or elsewhere - returning to UK after ten days out of a red-listed country - either way it is expensive and massively time consuming.

The fact that the UK Gov decision was taken while we were already in the UAE was a hammer blow to several teams and individuals.

I was talking to one industry friend today who, by the time he gets home, will have been away from his young family for 2 months, will have taken (and paid for) c.30 PCR tests whilst operating, at every point, in a 'COVID-safe' environment.

Yet he is treated in exactly the same manner as the four 'influencer' w***ers who were in the same airport restaurant as my 'bubble' group in Dubai yesterday, arriving maskless, insulting a staff member who challenged them and generally heaping scorn on those around them who were obeying the rules and trying to look after themselves and each other - and of course filming themselves and each other as they did so.

I have no issue with a policy so long as it is based on risk analysis, and that it is delivered in a manner where responsible people can plan to comply effectively.

This is not that at all, it is a populist tub thump designed to display to a political base that the UK Gov are taking border control seriously when that is something that they fundamentally have not done from the start.