View Single Post
Old 24 Oct 2011, 05:04 (Ref:2975831)   #311
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Flat bottom cars are mandated by the rules. The IRL rules dictated flat bottomed cars were what they wanted and dallara and Panoz built cars to those rules.
Dallara's were predominant and over the few years they ran they were the preferred car. In the end everyone ended up running Dallara's and the series organisers made them a spec car, in an effort to reduce costs to teams.

That's not Dallara's fault. Besides, the cars are strong. While many may not like the design or thinks its ugly, the monocoques have been strong, standing up to crash punishment well. Even in Dan Wheldon's case the integrity of the survival cell remained.
In addition similar features like driver head surrounds etc are as much a part of the design as F1 cars, something that came out of the FIA research after the Senna accident.
I'm well aware of all that but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about continued development work on the car and this didn't happen with the Dallara.

Once it became apparent these cars could take off, what was done to rectify it? Nothing and I wouldn't be surprised if that was because non of those early aerial excursions by the Flying Dallaras, resulted in any fatalities. If they had I would like to think that a redesign like the one that occured after Senna's death would have taken place. As we all know Dallara did nothing.