View Single Post
Old 25 Apr 2016, 19:21 (Ref:3636325)   #46
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
I'm in the advertising business. I've been to a few PWC races and this is how I see it.

PWC main customer base are the teams and the fans are secondary. Here's why.

Here are the teams:
It reminds me of clients that have a small business in a a large city. There are the usual's that keep the business going. The business doesn't really need to advertise at all. They have that source of income and it works but the business will remain steady and stagnant. If they can get more locals to start going there, then that's even better.

Here are the fans:
These are the customers that get a coupon or flyer in the mail. They go try the place out and then forget about it. They are indifferent. It's a good place but nothing to write home about. The usual's don't understand it because they will swear that this is the best product ever. They become (what we call) the cheerleaders.

If PWC was relying on getting fans to follow their series, then they would advertise and promote more. People will not automatically come to you even if the cheerleaders try 110%. PWC rarely advertises outside of their neighborhood. This explains why the races are not easy to watch (when it comes to accessibility) and there's virtually no advertising when it comes to local events (there was zero advertising at COTA last year and nothing at Long Beach this year).

PWC has their core customer base and that brings in the money they need to operate. They spend a small amount on advertising and promotion to get the small base of casual customers. When PWC runs with Indycar, they are like the group of local food vendors that show up for a huge festival. People like the product, never knew about it before and will forget about it by the next day only to remember it the following year.

You have to constantly remind people that your business exists to expand your customer base and not continue to be obscure. From my standpoint on marketing and advertising, PWC is happy to be obscure and there's nothing wrong with that. It works for them and many others.
I would imagine the teams would be happy to get away from some street circuits. Maybe you can make a case to have them at St Pete because it is the only round in Florida they can get to be at but that is it. The rest of the street rounds need to go away.