View Single Post
Old 1 Jun 2021, 09:19 (Ref:4054185)   #550
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Hybrid and electric are certainly where manufacturers are going to want to be spending their development and sponsorship budgets in the short term.

But, with the hypercar class being available for interesting projects does the main GT hierarchy need to just focus on selling as many cars as possible to privateers and having an obvious pyramid from national level to the world championship?

No need to over think things. If you want to boost grid numbers for the WEC just make GTE into a super-GT3 class with a bit more power, grip, aero, etc that isn't an order of magnitude more expensive or complex for any of the hundreds of drivers, tens of teams running GT3 already.
Mercedes, Audi and so on already put to rest the idea of Super GT3 being a cheap little upgrade when the DTM was discussing the idea last year.

The problem it seemed is that GT3 is carefully constructed to hit a certain lap time and to be more AM friendly in terms of drivability.

That if I remember rightly means that trying to upgrade GT3s to be dramatically fast is, while entirely possible, potentially a lot more expensive than you'd figure because many more bespoke components would be required, and you'd need much improved brakes, etc.

I am by no means an expert on the technical side of things, but that's about what I remember reading last year