View Single Post
Old 6 Jun 2011, 20:58 (Ref:2892439)   #134
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
The bigger question is going to quickly become, how to keep the regional series relevant. In all probability Europe will survive, but it is probable that the ALMS will not. The question then becomes, what will happen with Sebring, will it be removed, with no stops in North America at all? The other question being, how many entries will this World Championship get. Will entries in the low 20's suffice as a draw? LMS has threatened not to be involved, and if the ALMS fails there is no support categories in North America.

This whole thing is foolish, and will come crashing down in a few years.
The ALMS will probably have to follow the future LMS model in regard to having lower cost prototype classes and probably GT classes as well. They may have to equalize LMP1s and LMP2s, but we'll see what the car counts are later on. Something that could help the regional series is if the WEC does not have an LMP2 and/or GTE-Am categories. My guess is that the WEC will have field fillers though so I won't hold my breath for that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
btw... I think it is more probable that it would be PLM to stay as a World Championship event, then Sebring
I tend to agree. It seems that it may be easier to combine a South American event with the PLM date rather than the Sebring date. Am I wrong to think that?

I think PLM would be better as well. Teams from Europe may come to Sebring anyway to prepare for the WEC and Le Mans. PLM is a little less likely to draw outside interest.

I guess the key question is where/when the ACO wants to schedule the Asian events. A bunch of late season Asian events could jeopardize the late season American events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I disagree with both. An endurance racing championship can't have so many races. It's impossible to televise all of them. I vote for 2 or 3 European races, 2 North American and 2 or 3 in other continents. Small privateers will run in continental championships.
Don't be fooled, the demands of the manufacturers are going to drive the decision making of the WEC. They are going to get what they want. Does Peugeot and Audi want privateers to fluff up the fields? If so, my guess is that there will be fewer rather than more races. If they don't care about car counts, then maybe there will be more races.

As for TV, that could be solved by streaming the races live on the Internet and putting highlight packages on Eurosport/ESPN/whatever. Ok, I better start running before the lynch mob comes to get me!