Thread: WEC Rebellion Racing
View Single Post
Old 21 Feb 2014, 21:58 (Ref:3370821)   #289
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I did a very quick online search and I can't seem to find the safety requirements or the crash test procedures. Can anyone point me to those?

Ultimately the question is if they test to destruction or not. I expect not. And we have all seen particularly bad crashes in practice/races in which later on the tub was put back into use (after inspection I am sure). So maybe tubs do not experience much damage during crash testing (assuming they are well constructed and pass the tests)? There may be other structures around them that are tested to destruction (or they are designed to break during the test or a real crash) such as with F1 nose and side impact structures.

My concern would be the potential damage to mounting points as well as delamination of composite material. Maybe with today's modern tech (such things as ultrasonic inspection, etc.) these types of issues can be detected and repaired.

Richard