Thread: Track Limits
View Single Post
Old 6 Jul 2023, 07:53 (Ref:4166928)   #61
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
Just put reservable 1 meter wide plating on the outside of the first kerb. One side is tarmac or tarmac equal friction coefficient so the bikes have their safe track limit. The other side is a very low friction coefficient sort of astroturf surface. If you go on it, you will definitely lose time. You flip the plates depending on if you have a bike or car race. No need to store them anywhere, no need for an optical track limit system with penalties. If you go outside the wide line the track will punish you automatically.
Brilliant idea. Good to remind that some tracks are both homologated for F1 and Moto GP. As to the "other side" may be it could offer a very high friction as is the case at Paul Ricard. If you go too far outside, the car is almost stopped and the tires damaged. This is dissuasive, not dangerous and kind of penalty in itself. As you, I think it can be done with plates safely bolted. I don't think the grass is a viable solution and gravel traps must be far from the track limits. IMO.