View Single Post
Old 22 Feb 2005, 16:41 (Ref:1232568)   #20
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
John, you completely missed the point though, the point is that I think there is an opportunity for Champ Car to do a similar kind of race, but better and still marketable to Joe Public. We've seen them do it in the past. It's a matter of getting the right ingredients together and if Nascar people enjoyed that race (which for much of it was no better than a parade), CC has an opportunity to offer them something better. Let me clarify, I did NOT say CC was better than Nascar, I said there was a weakness in what Nascar did that could be exploited by CC in the future to build the series. Finally I was hoping others might have seen other potential opportunities for CC. I was looking for some constructive thoughts on how to make CC successful.

You took what I've said and have gone on a big tangent, but due to shear volume you're forcing me to address your comments. If there hadn't been the yellow and Stewart hadn't have messed up then it would have been 2 drivers at the end with a chance to win, Gordon and Stewart. Baring something unfortunate like Stewart's mistake, Johnson had an outside shot. I watched at a few different points in the race and I saw one guy in the lead, Stewart. As for "anyone winning," there were 5-6 cars with a good enough setup to run towards the front. No one could have won it without someone driving directly behind them to facilitate a pass!

As for "which OW guy would run in 7th," that's pure BS. I'm not desparaging the Nascar guys, they're very good and I'm not trying to say OW has a better group, but to say Nascar has a complete lock on good drivers is non-sense. For crossovers, there was the recent IROC race, the OW guys had some issues, sounds like some bad luck, some lack of experience, some lack of familiarity with stock cars. @ the Daytona 24, some of the Nascar names you mentioned did not look particularly good, as well as some of the OW guys. Better yet, let's take Scott Pruett as an example. He's raced in OW and in Nascar to a lesser extent. Did any of the outside drivers hold a candle to him? I don't see anything to critisize about regarding Manning, Dixon, Tracy. Other OW drivers had problems, but even then they looked good at times. In general I don't think the Nascar drivers made their discipline look better.

On the weekend how many restarts did the driver you've deemed "superior" do before they finally managed to finish the race? I don't like to make that comment because it's unfair, but I think your comments are unfair given the aims of my comments.

As for the difficultly comment. I NEVER said ovals were easy. Whenever someone on this forum has bashed ovals as easier than road courses I've always stood up and disagreed. I never said stock cars were easy to drive. Drop anyone in that field in one of the top 5-6 cars. Take stratagy out of it, could they have run the same lap times as Gordon, Stewart, Johnson? The answer in an unequivical yes.

I've got a solution this problem, why don't you call up Wind Tunnel and ask Dave Despain why he doesn't like restrictor plate racing and you can ask him if he thinks CC is theoretically capable of running a better race on a similar type of circuit. Seriously. Presumable there is NO place for CC in the market because the racing can not be the equal or better of Nascar's in any scenerio and Nascar has all the drivers. Why are you interested in the series then?

Last edited by Snrub; 22 Feb 2005 at 16:51.