View Single Post
Old 30 Nov 2013, 05:23 (Ref:3338455)   #38
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
If you look at the circuit now on a map, you unmistakably see the same circuit staring back at you as you ever have. When you compare it to other tracks, like Spa, the difference is minimal. Spa is still a great track, but it's just not what it was. Of all the great circuits raced on since the Great War, Le Mans, Monaco and Indy are the only ones which have remained the same in essence and continue to run their great race. We've lost over half of Spa Francorchamps, and what remains aren't even public roads anymore. At the Nurburgring, when either the DTM or F1 visits, an entirely different circuit is use to that of the Nordschleiffe. At Le Mans, we still have the Mulsanne Straight, we still have Indianoplis, Arnage, Mulsanne Corner, and all the various kinks, trees and inclines that have been there since 1923. It's a race on public roads over 24 hours for some of the most spectacular cars in the world. For me, that's epic. And it's precisely the same premise the race has always run under.

I've not been going to Le Mans long, only since 1998, but even in that time period the circuit has changed quite dramatically. The old esses, the old TR, the curbs at the Ford Chicane and the village in the inside of the circuit have all gone. And I miss them all dearly - but it's still Le Mans.

My point is, though, that the reason why this place is so special is due to the tireless work put in by the organisers, and I wholeheartedly appreciate it. So many things in motorsport haven't survived the post-modern era, but Le Mans has stayed the same by changing itself. They've not got all of the changes right, and I agree, it's such a shame the big race had to compromise for the bikes with the New Esses. But the attitude and philosophy of the ACO and local authorities over the past 90 years shouldn't be taken for granted. The race is really, really important for me for a variety of reasons, and it's got the same magic it's always had.
Well said, I entirely agree