View Single Post
Old 13 Sep 2013, 11:11 (Ref:3303280)   #1
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
My trip to the Nurburgring

Okay, so not strictly Le Mans related, but as you guys have been so supportive over the last 18 months and showed such an interest in my recovery, I thought you might like to hear about my trip to the Ring.

This time last year, just before my stem cell transplant, I went out for a last beer with a good mate of mine. He asked me to come up with something I really wanted to do, so I had something to look forward to over the difficult months ahead. When it comes to history and reputation, only one place comes close to Le Mans and that for me is the Nurburgring. So we agreed when I was well enough we would go out there and drive a couple of laps round the Nordschleife.

Well this week we did it. We left Bristol early on Tuesday, but then got delayed for 3 hours circling outside Calais on the ferry due to industrial action. After a long drive we arrived at our hotel just outside Nurburg (the Rennhotel, great value, good quality, friendly staff who stayed late to wait for us - happy to recommend it), and after a quick beer, crashed for the night. On Wednesday we went to the white elephant that is the Ringwerk; a huge development on the F1 circuit that at one stage threatened the whole place with closure due to bankruptcy. It looked deserted, but eventually we found an info desk and had a very enjoyable tour of the old paddock and the new F1 facilities. In the afternoon we had a couple of sessions of karting, (had the place to ourselves) in preparation for the evening.

Then at 4pm we arrived at the Rent4Ring (again very happy to recommend) car hire centre. After being told exactly how much it would cost us if we wrecked the car we had a great, if slightly scary briefing on how to approach our laps, stay safe and have fun. Then after being introduced to the car (a Suzuki Swift with uprated tyres, suspension and brakes and a half roll cage, perfect for beginners), we were off to the track. We shared 4 laps in total, mine were the 1st and 3rd. The first half of my first lap ever on any race track, in semi-wet conditions with much faster cars flying past, was frankly terrifying! After keeping to the right as a slower car, I then got a clear shot at the Karussel and was able to (in my head at least!) emulate my heroes and bounce round the concrete banking and pop out at the end. The whoops from me and Rob (my mate) let all the tension out and from then on it was just sheer fun. My second lap was all I could have wanted. The track was drying out, but the earlier wet weather meant it was deserted. With the exception of the last corner when we got stuck behind a safety car and 50 seater coach(!) I didn't see a single car. This meant I could actually drive properly, use the racing line and really enjoy myself. The Nordschleife is everything and more than I expected, the elevation changes and blind corners and crests have to be experienced to be really appreciated. My bridge to gantry time was 12.39, so I reckon without the coach a 12.30 lap, which for my second lap in a little hatchback I was really happy with. A great meal at the famous Pistonklaus restaurant finished a wonderful day.

So there you are, a true bucket list thing to do and two days later, I'm still smiling like a idiot.