View Single Post
Old 17 Nov 2005, 03:27 (Ref:1462878)   #1
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Modern Era versus past Era

There have been a few discussions on who are the best drivers ever. I had a thought that could resolve this issue somewhat.
It should be possible to restore an old F1 car to original condition, (eg Williams FW06 from Thoroughbred GP), have new tyres manufactured to the original specifications of when the car ran in period, then stick some front running drivers of today in the car and time them on laps at circuits where the layout hasn't changed. Granted, there will be some differences, eg the track surface, but it would give an idea of how the drivers compared. I have absolutely no idea who would be quicker - the drivers from those days probably had more courage and experience with that type of car, but the modern drivers are probably fitter and may have the benefit of 25 years additional racing theory and knowledge.
My best guess is that the times would be reasonably similar, but the modern driver would have smoother lines and the older driver would be hanging the tail out and be more on edge.