View Single Post
Old 26 Jul 2003, 04:17 (Ref:671643)   #1
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tracy stripped of pole-time for blocking: Junquiera gets pole!

From cart.com:
Quote:
VANCOUVER (July 25, 2003) – The Player’s/Forsythe CART Champ Car entry driven by Paul Tracy (#3 Player’s/Forsythe Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone) was penalized by CART Stewards upon the end of Friday’s first-day qualifying for the Molson Indy Vancouver and has had his best lap of today’s session taken off the time sheets.
CART Champ Car officials penalized Tracy following violations of Rule 5.4.8 of the Champ Car Rule Book which states, “During qualifying sessions, drivers not running at full qualifying pace should be aware of overtaking drivers, and should give way to all overtaking drivers.”

The loss of Tracy’s fastest lap will demote the #3 car to second in the first-day qualifying results with a fast lap of 61.862 seconds (103.644 mph) and will give the first-day pole to Bruno Junqueira (#1 PacifiCare Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone), who led qualifying with a best lap of 61.845 seconds (103.672 mph). Junqueira will also receive the championship point for leading the session, giving him 125 and narrowing his deficit to 14 points behind Tracy in the 2003 Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford standings.
I'm sure much of the paddock is letting out one huge "ing finally!" about this.... Having not seen any of the quali session I have no idea, but I know a lot of drivers felt this was long overdue.

How will this affect Paul? I know not too long ago it would have set him off, and the weekend would probably be a waste...but this year?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes