View Single Post
Old 9 Jan 2021, 09:38 (Ref:4027803)   #8655
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Let’s see if we can revive this thread:

Most rumors (not all) claim that Porsche will develop their V8 used in their Cayenne for their LMDh car.
Whilst I can understand that this would be attractive from a weight (minimum engine weight allowed is enormous (~180Kg) and cost, I suggest that perhaps the 4.6 V8 from the 918 makes better sense.

Here are the reasons:
1. The 4.6 V8 (447KW) is indeed a production engine as it was used in the 918 (918 cars were built)
2. This engine is a modified version of the 3.4 V8 (414KW) used in the Porsche 918 RSR concept car which is the same engine that was used in the RS Spyder (Engine known as the MR6)
3. Given the above, the 4.6V8 production version could be easily modified to produce the 470KW required for LMDh. (perhaps an addition of a small turbo)
4. The weight would have to be increased , but that is easily done through ballast with the added benefit of placing the weight where it does the least damage.
5. The engine is a race car derived engine with a very low center of gravity.

Any thoughts?
Is it worth it?
LMDh will most likely be heavily BoPed so the incentive of using an expensive engine compared to a cheap mass production engine is low.