Thread: LM24 Le Mans 2014
View Single Post
Old 7 May 2014, 04:22 (Ref:3403174)   #52
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
I think this sums it up neatly.

All my many years of watching Le Mans has told me that winning this is hard, anyone who can do it (and yes, even the the Dauer 962) is deserving of a "yes, well played".

Is the Toyota my favourite car of this year? No, it isn't, not by a long chalk, but I sure as hell respect the fact that they came with a fast but fragile F1 derived car in 2012, keeping the series alive, and raced with panache, and that they rolled with the huge punches that came with having awakened Audi's sleeping giant last year, and responded with an impeccably sorted car this year. If they win come June, and I think they might, I'll cheer long, I'll cheer hard, and I might be pleased I'm not driving home this year and pop a cork or two.

But if Audi do it? Or Porsche? Or Rebellion pull one of the hat? Or more likely than the last and there's an LMP1 meltdown and we end up with an Oak / Oreca showdown will I complain? Of course I won't; I'll relish every single minute.
Excellent and well said as usual, Ian.

I don't think I'm being presumptuous when saying the vast majority of Le Mans anoraks like us aren't really bothered by who wins the race as long as they win it fairly and with gentlemanly behavior... or as gentlemanly as it comes when sparring at 300+ kph! Now if the team has a bad history of unsportsmanlike conduct or pushes someone off at Arnage on the last lap to take the win, then I'll be upset. Otherwise, it'll be a great battle!

That being said, I'm honestly getting weary of Audi continuing to win. I won't be upset, especially if the race is entertaining, but deflated... I will admit "yes". Toyota (or Porsche) shouldn't hold back in this race... can't imagine why they would but if you think about it preparation wasn't on Toyota's side in their first two tries. They are better prepared than ever before, hot off two consecutive WEC wins in vastly different conditions, and Audi is struggling. Porsche seems to have the pace but not the reliability... maybe in a year or so, but not immediately and it shouldn't be expected, to be honest. Should be interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I can't believe the amount of people who've gone for Toyota in the poll. Maybe I should stick some money on Audi now they are seemingly rank outsiders.
Not surprised here! Two consecutive rounds won, extremely quick in lap times, and superb reliability so far. Also, lineup is fantastic as ever. Audi struggle with overall laptime and the third car shouldn't do them much good... both Bonanomi and Albuquerque were way behind at Spa. I can't imagine Jarvis can hoist that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Absolutely, I drove away from Spa thinking "Toyota, magnificent, but only two rounds in their gun". Audi have always been at their best when the back is against the wall - in 2011 even my 80+ year old mother phoned me to say how much she'd been struck by the denouement of the race. Audi are going in to this more on the back foot than they've ever been - and while I'll toast a Toyota win, if Audi pull this one off I'll happily salute it.
There is a reason Audi has won 12 times in the second millennium. 12/14, not a bad record. They absolutely never give up... it sounds incredibly cliché I realize but they do not crack under pressure. Porsche I believe is out of the question with the reliability issues on their car, which is no matter because no one expected them to win their first year back in it. Toyota looks quickest and arguably as reliable as Audi, and as I mentioned above, the 3rd oddball Audi shouldn't really do the team any good given the drivers don't have the pace to race with the main contenders.