View Single Post
Old 31 Jul 2001, 12:59 (Ref:124315)   #14
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An interesting article, and one which does not pretend to be something it isn't. It is an unashamed Button-bash. But rather than it being aimed at the boy Bunsen himself, perhaps it should look at what caused all this.

Jenson's trouble is, the media built him up to be Britain's next F1 superstar before he'd even got in the car, and possibly silly old Jenson began to believe the hype surrounding him. No-one gave him a chance to prove himself - all we got from Jim and the idiots at ITV was how wonderful Jenson was, and every week Autosprout had some new rubbish to print about him.

I despised the boy when he started at Williams, simply because of the attention he received. It was undeserved. But by the end of the season I held a great deal of respect for the guy - on the track. He is a very talented F1 driver, who unfortunately has landed a seat driving the worst car on the grid. It is underpowered, turns like a brick (if at all), and does not suit his style.

Now the success has gone, and the media knives are out. What a surprise.

Granted, his flat and yacht-buying antics do nothing to help his credibility, and he should indeed spend more time looking at how he can get some more results before the season is out. But at the same time everyone is giving the guy a tough time for no reason.

Don't blame Jenson for his behaviour - he had a media role to fulfil and unfortunately for him, he fell into the trap of doing it.

I cannot quite believe I have written this much about Jenson Button. And granted it's a load of b*ll*cks I'm sure. But that's my thoughts on the subject.

Last edited by Minardi fan; 31 Jul 2001 at 13:00.