View Single Post
Old 25 Feb 2010, 18:39 (Ref:2640476)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Read the article.
It gives the sponsorship revenues for both CART, IRL and NASCAR in general and how each organisation tackled the loss of tobabcco money. It's the way the respective organiations organised themselves and their repective series, who they targeted for commercial support and what the consequences were for each of them.
It makes sense and has some very good points the IRL could learn from. Whatever the past, you need to learn the lessons from past events if you are going to be successful in the future. Open wheel in the US has a big mountain to climb but Everest is big and people climb that every year .simply for the challenge.
Open wheel has a future if the right decisions are made but you will not reurn to the haylacon days of the 80's/90's overnight.

Secondly its not about blame. Its about learning what not to do and not repeating mistakes, neither your own past mistakes nor anyone elses.
I don't think it was loss of tobacco or any other segment of sponsors that was the main cause. That was merely an effect of other things that happened.

For your average fan, sponsors and all involved, people want to be where the hip and cool action is. The split spilled a vat full of negativity over the whole sport and year by year people and sponsors left for pastures anew. tony george had to have total absolute control at all costs and no one out there either wanted that or wanted to be a part of that.

I remember in business school we learned about the downward business spiral. As business goes down, you pare off this and that to survive and eventually you are in a hole and not likely to get out because you have lost so much ground. Indycar is in the bottom of the toilet and I don't know if it can make it out. Too much damage has been done.

I am someone that believes in blame. Without knowing who and what is at fault you cannot learn for the future.